Monday, July 13, 2009

MY KIDS AT THE LIMELIGHT THEATER IN ST. AUGUSTINE

Yesterday was opening day for the play Godspell Jr. Some people were seated patiently others were still coming in. Out comes Justin, my son, he grabs his guitar on stage and starts to play. I feel a rush of joy in my heart. He played a couple of songs, Adam , another boy came out and played and the show began.
The performance was filled with beautiful music, kids of all ages, and happiness. The show was part of a summer camp that Justin has been going to for four weeks. Andrew my oldest son is the stage manager and was up in the booth running the lights and sound.

Both kids love the theater and have been in several plays over the years. They seem to bond deeply with the kids in each play. Its been a joy to see them perform. Justin played several songs on the guitar and did a great job in his character.

I have that same love of the theater, as a young child in London we would go to several plays and musicals. When I came to America and attended High School at fifteen, I immediately tried out for the school plays. The friendships I made were the best part. There is a bond that is hard to describe. I continued my passion at college and was very active in the theater dept. At one point I wanted to get an agent and pursue this dream, but I soon realized that it wasn't the right road for me. I didn't feel I was talented enough or determined enough to be an actress.
I never knew then that years later I would be on TV with my family, not just once but twice.

Andrew tells me over and over that he wants to be an actor. I feel that if that is what he wants, its what he should do. Justin says he wants to be a musician.
Dreams are important and I know that life has a purpose, there are no accidents. If this is what my children love then I encourage them to go for their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment