Saturday, July 25, 2009

A VERY PROUD MOTHER

Before I ever decided to have children, a friend of mine gave me a fascinating book to read by Glenn Doman. How to teach your baby to read. When I read this book it truly inspired me to become a mother. It spoke of how you can teach your baby to read, math and encyclopedia knowlege. I thought how fantastic, what a fabulous reason to become a mum. I wasn't very excited about doing diapers, and loosing sleep, but this felt important.

My decision was made, I was going to be a mum and I was going to order all the teaching tools to begin my baby on the road to success. Andrew came very quickly after my decision was made. While I was pregnant I followed a book called prenatal classroom and started playing the drum beats and classical music to my belly. As soon as Andrew arrived, I had all the single words ready and encyclopedia cards set and everyday of his young life, I would flash them to him and say what the word was or picture.

I made him books on his life. All in large print, with pictures featuring him.
When he was five, I spoke to him about going to real school. He immediately insisted, NO, you will teach me. At first I was a little hesitant, but then I said why not. I looked into it, and decided to form my own private school. A.J. Private school. (andrew, justin).

I took one year at a time, and he flourished. I geared his education to his interests. At the same time Justin came and I followed the same curriculum for him. Playing classical music in the womb, flash cards, math dots and encyclopedia cards that I made.

I am still homeschooling Justin today. Andrew decided last year to go to High School for his Freshman Year. He wanted to try something different.
He did very well, getting straight A's in all his classes. He was on the School newspaper and wrote several articles each issue.

After a year of high school, we found out that if he passed the college placement test, he could do dual enrollment in College at St. Johns River Community college.
Today was the day to find out if he was ready and what a day it has been!
Andrew took just under two hours to take the math and english exam, and when he got done, I asked the lady how he did.

She said, "he did phenomenal, you should be very proud." I couldn't believe it, I was so excited for him. What an opportunity! He is enrolled in Florida Virtual School for the next semester, and will begin college in January 2010 as a dual enrollment student. He will be almost sixteen at that point.

Do I believe, homeschooling and teaching him at birth made a difference? Absolutely. Andrew is a very well rounded person, scholastically and creatively. He utilizes both sides of his brain.
I am a very proud mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment