Monday, August 31, 2009

DEALING WITH DISAPOINTMENTS

This is a tough one for most people to handle. Remember the saying "Don't count your chickens....."

We can often set ourselves up for disapointment. We make plans to do something, which appears to be very good for us, whether it is for financial gains or meeting someone special or anything. And then we get that dreaded phone call: it's been called off, or the guy has gone back to his wife or whatever!

It is hurtful. Sometimes when people disapoint us, they give us no warning. We are due to go and meet someone at eleven, for example. We are about to walk out of the house, and we have a hunch to call them and confirm. Then we hear the upsetting response. "Oh, sorry, I am going to have to cancel." Why do people not call? Why do they make plans and then cancel for a very lame excuse?

This happened to me today, but I chose to not let this person disturb my peace of mind. I was feeling positive all day, and then Wham! She sent me a zinger. Instead of ruining my whole day about it, I looked at it differently. I decided to jump in the car with Sam, and we took a drive in the oposite direction from where we were supposed to go and we had a nice time. There was very little traffic, and we checked out a deli we had heard about instead. I bought some bagels, and because it was 3pm, I got an extra six bagels for free. A little gift. When I got home, the person had left my mind and I continued my day.

Sometimes it's not easy to do that. But the other option was to cause myself a lot of distress. Things do work out in the end and sometimes we do not see the reason why something is happening. The only option we have is how we look at it. Being positive is much more productive for our minds and bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment