Monday, September 7, 2009

BIKE RIDING IN WASHINGTON OAKS STATE PARK

Sam and I decided to be adventurous today. We strapped our bikes on the back of our car and drove the thirteen miles to Washington Oaks State Park, just south of St. Augustine, Florida. It is a beautiful park full of nature, trees and trails. We parked the car in the lot and took off for our bike adventure.

We rode through the hiking trails for about an hour, stopping occasionally for a drink of water and to rest. Its been a long time since I have gone on a long bike ride and even though I walk the beach, this was definately using different muscles.
It was practically deserted and very peaceful. Sometimes we could ride together, but often the trail became narrow and we had to ride single file. I loved being amongst the tall trees and listening to the birds singing. There was a perfect breeze from the shade. Even though it was a very warm day, it was very pleasant.
We stopped by the gardens and watched the dragonflies and butterflies. I was shocked to see blue and pink dragonflies. I had no idea that they came in those colors. It was spectacular. They just danced on the pond water. I was so sad that I didn't bring a camera. The ponds were filled with small and large fish. It was quite a sight!

After our bike ride we picked a perfect picnic bench to have our tasty lunch. A squirrel came to join us and we enjoyed giving him tortilla chips. Every time we did, he would run up a tree and eat it upside down.

I was reminded of when I was a kid and we used to go into the forest to look for acorns. We are really blessed to have such a nice park nearby, we will have to come more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment