Thursday, December 3, 2009

Looking Back

Someone just e-mailed me and told me that my First Wifeswap episode was playing on Lifetime today. I decided to sit and watch it again.

When we agreed to do the show, we didn't really know what the show was all about. After hearing about the opportunity to go on, we had a family discussion and everyone agreed that it would be a great experience. My boys loved performing--it wasn't something I picked for them to do. They picked their own interests and loved what they were doing.

Sam and I had a life with a very different role reversal. We were very close, and I felt it was time that America wake up and realize that there is no such thing as typical Women's work or Man's work. Sam and I were both proud of our lives. He was supportive to my work.

When we first met, he told me, "I have come into your life to make you famous!"
It is what he wanted for me. He was so proud of all the help I was giving to others, and truly understood that I needed my peace and harmony.

So, agreeing to do Wifeswap was for many reasons. Mostly, I wanted America to know that just because you are a psychic or metaphysician, you are still a regular person. Also, because I wanted to let others know that my work is beneficial to others; the same way as a massage feels good. Getting someone to help you have insight into your lives and the people in it can help you grow and be happy.

During Wife Swap, Mrs. Pitney got ahold of my children and aimed to make the boys and Sam "real men," but this was out of her own unawareness. We had some adjustment to go through afterward. Justin did take Basketball at the YMCA for a year and Sam and I both went to his games. But he eventually came back into the theater, where he loves to act and perform. That was back in 2007.

In 2008 came the opportunity to participate in the 100th episode of Wife Swap. At the time, we were broke. Due to the economy we were not doing very well in the store. So, we agreed to participate in the contest. Also, Andrew wanted to do it again because he's interested in becoming an actor.

I had a dream several weeks before we were picked that we would win the 100th episode, and Mr. Heene (Balloon Boy Dad) would be the man I would become Wife to for a week. We all talked about it, and we all agreed we were on the same page.

The 100th episode was filmed just over a year ago.

Everyone seems to have come away with the wrong idea about the men in my family. The boys are still involved in singing and dancing and in theater. They are boys. You do not have to hit a ball to be a boy. That is so ridiculous. Men come all different ways. Sam has long hair because he likes it. There is nothing wrong with a man having long hair. How dare society make fun of Sam because he has long hair. I happened to like it and so did he.

Why can't people be individuals? Sam loved taking care of us, what is wrong with that? He doesn't have to do so-called "Manly things" to be a man. That is also ridiculous.

We do what we LOVE to do.

We need to stop teaching our kids negative ideas about being 'manly' and 'girly' and let them be who they are. Let them have their own dreams.

My children love the theater. What is wrong with that?

Mrs. Pitney's children, hit each other, played violent games and watched horror movies. That is NOT the way to raise kids.

I am sorry if I am strange. So be it. I am just me. I love who I am and who I choose to be in life. I have been psychic pretty much all my life. It is just what I am.

Mrs. Heene believed we should raise kids to swear. Is that the way to raise kids?
She also believed it was okay for my Justin to be on the computer 24/7 and do whatever he wanted, without Sam checking on him. Is that okay too?

We need to look at our lives; the roles we have forced on each other.

And work on being ourselves.


Sheree
.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this a bit slanderous towards Mrs Pitney afterall the way you raise your children is your choice. Because her children BOYS do boy like things isn't wrong. I think you should re-evaluate talking about the Pitneys or the Hennes--people in glass houses shouldn't cast stones--and did you run this past ABC running your swap families name into the ground. I am sure they will love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete